- fluid ounces olive oil
- net weight ounces sirloin tip roast, visible fat trimmed and cut into small pieces
- onion(s), diced
- fluid ounces cilantro, chopped
- fluid ounces garlic powder
- fluid ounces ground black pepper
- net weight ounces canned low-sodium diced tomatoes
- net weight ounces no salt added tomato paste
- net weight ounces canned hominy, drained and rinsed
Heat oil in a stockpot over medium heat. Add beef and brown on all sides.
Add onion to the pot with beef and cook until tender.
Add cilantro, garlic powder, black pepper, and enough water to cover the meat. Cover and cook over low heat until meat is tender, about one hour.
Add canned tomatoes and tomato paste. Continue cooking for 20 minutes.
Add hominy to soup and continue cooking another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, over low heat.