Have you ever stepped inside of a grocery store and gone to the produce section only to find the fruits and vegetables that you were looking for were not only super expensive, but also didn’t taste all that great? Often times, it’s because the produce is out-of-season!
So, why should you buy and eat your produce in-season? And what is in-season now anyway? Here are just a few reasons:
- The taste is so much better! Fruits and vegetables in-season are at the peak of their flavor profile, which makes them taste fresher and more flavorful compared to when they are out-of-season.
- It’s cheaper! Fruits and vegetables in-season tend to be plentiful which makes them less expensive to purchase.
- They bring variety to the plate party! Eating seasonally allows you to make different meals all the time as well as introduce new, bright flavors to your dishes.
If you’ve read this far, you may now be wondering, “What produce is in season now?” According to the United States Department of Agriculture, the following fruits and vegetables are in season during the summer months:
- Bell peppers
- Berries (blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries)
- Melons (cantaloupe, honeydew melons, watermelons)
The summer is full of nice weather and produce! What kinds of produce do you plan on enjoying this summer?