Not only is cooking with your child a great way to bond with them, it’s also a good way to broaden the types of foods they eat. Children are more likely to enjoy a food if they see how to cook it and help in the process. If you’re unsure about what to make for dinner, invite your kids to make one of their favorite take-out meals at home. Chinese-inspired meals are a great choice!
Why Choose Chinese?
- Chinese meals are veggie-based. This is a good way to show your children how tasty healthy food is. Veggies are also easy to cook, so have your child prepare your veggies while you prepare the other parts of the meal. Maybe they will find their new favorite veggie in the process!
- Most traditional Chinese dishes are stir-fried, not deep fried like your local takeout restaurant serves. This saves calories and fat! Ask your child what type of protein they want, then help them cook it with just a small amount of fat.
- It’s easy to include whole grains such as brown rice or whole wheat noodles.
- Most common ingredients in Chinese dishes can be found at your local grocery store. Give your child a sense of pride and let them help you shop for your healthy dinner.
- There are many types of Chinese foods you can make. This is great if your child is a picky eater, as the options are endless. From foods like soups to stir-fry to dumplings, you can find something your child will like.
Cooking with your children is a fun and easy way to spend time with them while teaching them skills that will last a lifetime. Here are more tips for age-appropriate cooking skills you can practice with your child. What is your favorite meal to cook with your children?