Do you struggle with getting your kids to eat healthy foods? It can sometimes be hard to get your children to enjoy healthy snacks; particularly fruits and vegetables. Your children want to be just like you so what your children see you eating can influence their snacking choices. Purchasing fresh, canned, or frozen fruits and vegetables ahead of time makes it easier to prepare and to have on hand healthy snacking options, which increases the likelihood of your children to snack healthy.
It is important to remember that it may take up to 8 times for a child to accept a new food. So relax, it may just not be that food’s turn yet. If they see you eating healthy options they will be more likely to try those snacks in the future. But be persistent! If your child is picky, offer some vegetables with dip such as carrots or cucumbers with hummus.
Another way to encourage your children to eat healthy snacks is to eat with them. Talk about some of your favorite fruits and vegetables; then offer them a couple healthy snack options. This way you know your child is eating healthy and they feel in charge and empowered. Some ideas of healthy, yummy snacks can help make the task of providing healthy snacks to your children less overwhelming.
Here are some snack ideas to serve to your children:
- Apples with peanut butter mixed with Greek yogurt
- Green Beans with hummus
- Roasted Cauliflower pieces
- Orange sprinkled with cinnamon
- Yogurt topped with granola and blueberries
- Pear slices with cheese
- Fruit salad including kiwi, strawberries, and bananas
- Pretzels and berries
- Build their own trial mix
- You can make it together and let you children pick what they like specifically
- Baked sweet potatoes fries
- Colorful sweet bell peppers
- Even more great snacks and dip ideas here
Remember snacks should be small, nutritious, and act as a bridge to the next meal! But most importantly, you are your children’s main role, so eat smart and lead by example!