Mealtime can be a fun way to bring the family together. However, the fun may not last long if you have picky eaters! Listed below are a few creative ways to make meal or snack time entertaining and increase the chances of getting your children to eat – even their fruits and veggies!
Cookie Cutters. Using cookie cutters to make shapes out of food makes for a good time and can even teach kids about the different food groups.
Eat the Rainbow. Get your kids to eat all different colors of fruits and vegetables. This vegetable pizza is a great way to do so. You can even add more vegetables to it so that all of the colors of the rainbow are on it! Vegetables that add color include red onion, all colors of bell peppers, broccoli, carrots, asparagus, and eggplant.
Mealtime Fun. Playing family games at dinner can increase engagement and encourage kids to eat their food!
One easy game to play is:
- Roll one die on the table.
- Whatever number it lands on is the number of bites of a new food they have to try.
- Pass the die to the next person at the table and repeat.
- Whoever takes the most bites of the new food wins!
- Some rules to an enjoyable snack time game:
- Create a plate of different types of fruits or vegetables.
- Tie a bandana, scarf, or whatever you have on hand to blindfold your taster.
- Place a random piece of fruit or vegetable from the plate into their hand and have them eat it.
- Now they’ll guess what they are eating!
This can be a light-hearted competition among kids to see how many they get right!
Your kids may be picky eaters, but you have the power to get them to try new things with the ideas in this blog! If you’d like more clever solutions on how to add fruits and vegetables into your kids’ meals take a look at this list.
By Cat Trejo
If you are not the only one who prepares food for your child, make sure all caregivers follow the same tips to get the best results. This includes babysitters, siblings and grandparents!